Difference between revisions of "Features"
Latest revision as of 09:17, 24 November 2010
 What OpenEmbedded can do
You wonder what OpenEmbedded is about, need to know whether it fits your particular requirement or need this info for an OpenEmbedded flyer? Have a look at the list below.
PS: People who know a particular feature not mentioned here are asked to add it to the list. :)
- cross-compile packages for various CPU architectures like x86, x86_64/amd64, powerpc, arm (various generations), mips, avr32
- build complete bootable distributions that can be installed on flash or SD/MMC media
- build compatible package for non-OpenEmbedded based distributions like Maemo, OpenWRT or various 'vendor Linuxes'
- build thousands of software packages using all kinds of programming languages and runtime environments like C/C++, Perl, Python, Java, Mono
- create binary packages in IPK, RPM, DEB or tar.gz format
- choose from a wide range of C libraries as the base of your distribution: glibc, uclibc or eglibc
- optionally employ Debian-like naming on binary packages (e.g. libfoo)
- create complete toolchain packages for your target system which can be deployed on application developer machines
- reproduceable builds (let two persons with two different machines but same setup create the same binary)
- strongly self-hosting, requires only a minimum of tools to be installed right away