[OE-core] ASSUME_PROVIDED versus SANITY_REQUIRED_UTILITIES versus "The Build Host Packages"

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Nov 29 10:47:11 UTC 2016

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Mon, 2016-11-28 at 06:20 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   a bit confused by what i'm seeing in a recent
> > qemuppc/core-image-minimal build on my fedora system regarding which
> > native packages are built, despite what's in bitbake.conf (using
> > current poky layer checkout).
> >
> >   first, here's a snippet from bitbake.conf:
> >
> >   ASSUME_PROVIDED = "\
> >     bzip2-native \          <---
> >     chrpath-native \
> >     file-native \           <---
> >     findutils-native \
> >     git-native \
> >     grep-native \
> >     diffstat-native \
> >     ... snip ...
> >
> > suggesting that (among other things) bzip2-native and file-native
> > shouldn't be built -- it's the developer's responsibility to install
> > them, yes? but if i peek under tmp/work/x86_64-linux, i can see:
>
> There are two ways "file-native" can be used in a build. It can be
> used as the host provided "file" command and it is also needed by
> the file recipe to build file for the target. We need to build
> file-native in order for the build for the target file command to
> build/work. This is why it gets built.
>
> With bzip2, we need libbz2 (native) during the build process and we
> don't ASSUME_PROVIDED libbz2-devel, hence it builds bzip2-native
> only for that piece. Confusing perhaps but necessary unfortunately.

  ah, gotcha ... so in cases like that, even if a recipe needs to be
*partially* built for libraries, that in no way affects the
ASSUME_PROVIDED setting, correct? as in, once I ASSUME_PROVIDED
"bzip2-native", then that *better* exist on my build host, correct?

rday

P.S. there is still some lack of sync amongst:

  * ASSUME_PROVIDED
  * sanity.bbclass
  * YP quick start guide

one example i mentioned is that the YP guide does not list "sed" as a
build host requirement, but "sed-native" is in ASSUME_PROVIDED;
however, it's not listed in SANITY_REQUIRED_UTILITIES. that seems
inconsistent.

                        http://crashcourse.ca