[oe] Consistent indentation in meta-openembedded metadata

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:46:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

maybe you remember my proposal to make whitespace consistent for python
and shell tasks a while back:

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2012-July/026176.html

    * This change is only aesthetic (unlike indentation in Python
    * tasks).
    * Some recipes were using tabs.
    * Some were using 8 spaces.
    * Some were using mix or different number of spaces.
    * Make them consistently use 4 spaces everywhere.
    * Yocto styleguide advises to use tabs (but the only reason to keep
      tabs is the need to update a lot of recipes). Lately this advice
      was also merged into the styleguide on the OE wiki.
    * Using 4 spaces in both types of tasks is better because it's less
      error prone when someone is not sure if e.g.
      do_generate_toolchain_file() is Python or shell task and also allows
      to highlight every tab used in .bb, .inc, .bbappend, .bbclass as
      potentially bad (shouldn't be used for indenting of multiline
      variable assignments and cannot be used for Python tasks).

I still have some scripts for semi-automatic conversion.

Now close to creating dylan branch for meta-openembedded is imho best
time to do this, not many changes from released dylan will be backported
to danny, because people will start moving to newer release instead of
backporting more and more stuff to old one (also resolving possible
whitespace merge conflict it not hard). Causing conflicts for merge was
IIRC most important reason why my proposal was rejected for oe-core.

meta-efl, meta-webos(-ports), meta-smartphone layers are already using
it for some time and meta-openembedded recipes are using spaces in shell
tasks in majority of recipes.

If nobody objects I'll run my scripts after all pending patches are
merged.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com